Celebs that Practice Pilates
Let's face it. We may say we're not inspired by celebrities because they get to hire the best trainers and the best chefs. But at the end of the day they still have to eat the food and do all the workouts. Or they might lose their jobs. I'm sure if I was told I'd make $200K for a month of work if my body was rockin' hot...my body would be rockin' hot. So here are 10 celebs that seem to practice Pilates pretty regularly.
- Reese Witherspoon
- Mandy Moore
- Kate Walsh
- Miley Cyrus (is she still considered a celeb? I'm not sure...)
- Hilary Duff
- Pippa Middleton (she's related to royalty. Does that count?)
- Miranda Kerr
- Vanessa Hudgens
- Kate Winslet
- Ashley Green
- Kate Hudson
- Anna Faris (one of my faves!)
- Emily Blunt
- Daisy Fluentes
What Pilates Is Not
For the sake of full disclosure, you should understand what Pilates will not do so you understand how to supplement.
Pilates is best used after other forms of training to increase flexibility and balance. This is one of the reasons you'll often see runners practicing Pilates. There is only modest evidence that muscular endurance will be improved. If you prefer a more muscular defined look, you'll need to lift heavy weights.
If you are looking to lose a significant amount of weight, Pilates will not do it. You'll still need to do cardio - running, walking, dancing, kick boxing - in order to see the pounds peel off.
- Pilates is a combination of gymnastics, martial arts, yoga and dance
- Based on six key principles: centering, concentration, control, precision, flow, and breath
- Can be practiced with no equipment such as on a mat or with equipment such as a reformer (I love my reformer! So does Jeffrey the Cat)
- Pilates was practiced almost entirely by dancers until the 1980s..it wasn't until the 90s that Pilates became more mainstream
Do you practice Pilates? Do you like to read scientific articles/journals? Do you have to get CEUs for a certification/license that you hold?